Never have I ever checked the news obsessively and read
almost every single article that has come up on a subject. Of course, it’s not
really that big of a deal when you considered Guinea doesn’t have free press
and there aren’t THAT many entities writing articles in English about the
activities here. Regardless, I have never been this pulled into politics… if
that’s what you want to call it.
Recently a French journal wrote an article about a potential
coup in Guinea. Oh did I say French journal? I meant to say French satirical
journal. People write articles about such things in jest. Kind of strange in my
opinion. I understand joke articles are written daily about everything and
anything. What worries me is that these journalists really lack knowledge of
the context they are writing in. Guinea is about to have a legislative election
that has been postponed SO many times. Do these journalist realize how delicate
the situation is? How many layers exist? How tense the atmosphere is? Do they
realize that Guineans lack access to information and most news spreads through
word of mouth?
This article created quite a stir that even a Ministry level
official was asked to comment on this alleged potential coup. What did he say?
That it is plausible- he didn’t push it aside but rather declared that is may
have some foundation in truth. This falsified information was deemed plausible.
Thank goodness the article was a joke otherwise who knows where most
volunteer’s heads would be at. In fact, many volunteers had found other news
items about the coup, that didn’t allude to the fact that the journal that
posted the information was satirical (probably because they didn’t know- see
how information travels!) and packed bags in a worried panic. Thankfully, we
got a message from Peace Corps just in time pointing to the fact that the
source of all this was a piece of satire and no word of a potential coup had
met any ears in Conakry.
That being said. Imagine if this news of a coup, without
clarification, fell into the wrong hands. Angry youth could easily latch on to
it. Youth are ready to start trouble at the drop of a hat. Many are losing
faith in their country and are either looking to fight for their rights or
looking for opportunities abroad; morale is low. Not a pretty situation.
None of this is meant to cause a stir. Things are fine, I am
100% safe, have a plan of action for any and all circumstances and am far away
from Conakry. I’ve just been thinking…
Democracy is a funny thing. The mighty West swoops in and saves
the savage African from anarchy.
What would Guinea have done if structures of Democracy
hadn’t been introduced?
Would there be suffering? A lack of development? Oh wait,
Guinea still isn’t all that developed.
But really, before colonization the different ethnic groups
had their own ways of ruling. In the Fouta, the Peuhl people had a kingdom and
the reign of power switched back and forth between two royal families. It was
acknowledged and accepted that when in power each family would likely do things
that benefited their own family, aka people, more than the other, but that was
okay because power would eventually fall back into the hands of the other side.
There was a balance. There were some cruel forms of punishment that would
definitely be considered savage, but it doesn’t sound like such a bad system.
Of course I’m omitting details and am lacking a lot (A LOT)
of information (I really should start reading up more on Africa post-colonial
times, maybe then I won’t make grandiose statements), but I constantly come
back to the idea that Europe REALLY was stupid when they divided up Africa and
created these arbitrary borders that created countries out of multitudes of
ethnic groups and forced them to be united under one foreign looking
government. So not only have borders been drawn by outsiders, but governance is
being chosen by outsiders. Insanity! Yes, countries can opt out of democracy,
but SO much aid money and SO many political alliances fall through the cracks
when you opt out. Doesn’t sound like much of a choice for an underdeveloped
country, does it?
Let’s take a look at Guinea. Many ethnics groups have become
fellow countrymen under the umbrella of ‘Guinea’. Not everyone here is
ethnocentric and I do think diversity in a country is an awesome thing BUT elections
have become somewhat ethnically tied; not a very democratic ideal if you ask me
and something hard to fight. Anyway, here we are, we have hit a point where
international aid money is disappearing as programs leave Guinea, putting pressure
on the government to have fair democratic elections. Aid money WILL be
forfeited if elections don’t happen before a certain date, so it really is in
everyone’s interest to cooperate and is even more critical for the current
ruling party to hold elections so that they aren’t the bad guys that let
foreign aid money fall through the cracks. The opposition is calling foul play
at every point of the process, probably because the elections in 2010 didn’t
quite sit well with them. So we have two ethnic groups pitted against each
other. With all this local mess in mind, the mighty West has sent in a UN
moderator to help ensure that this election date is actually respected.
Makes sense to send in an official from the developed world
to help a country get through a process that has been introduced and pushed by
the West.
Do I think Democracy is good? Yes. Do I think the borders
that were drawn were smart? No. Do I think imposing ideas upon these countries
that have been formed and then pushed around is smart? No. Have I sometimes
amused myself thinking about what could happen if borders were dissolved and
Africans were left to draw their own borders? Yes. Do I have a resolution for
how to save humanity? No. Where does that leave us? No clue!
It can be hard to see what we are working towards in Guinea.
I’m not sure what these elections are doing. I can’t help but wonder if
Guineans, if given the opportunity, couldn’t come up with an innovative,
culturally appropriate form of governance for themselves. Who knows?
Well one last thought: it’s a pretty cool phenomenon that
America doesn’t come to a screeching halt after elections. So many people are
passionate about the candidates during the campaigning period but, amazingly, after
the elections, regardless of the outcome, people go to work and fulfill their
American duties. Here, regardless of the outcome, Guineans who don’t agree with
the result will go on strike: stop working, wreak havoc perhaps, and fight
until they are satisfied or compensated. I’m not quite sure where the idea of
the greater good fits into Guinean politics. People have their convictions and
are steadfast, compromise isn’t a natural thing yet.
Ugh, I have delved into politics. Please don’t rip me to
shreds or think less of me!
No comments:
Post a Comment